Thursday, 24 November 2016

The Heart of Worship




Sermon at Masinde Muliro University CU on 25th November, 2016
What is worship?
Reverence or honor accorded to the deity.
John 4:21  Lying prostrate or bowing before God. It is total surrender. You can’t fight when you are in such a posture. This means that our worship has to exalt God above everything in our lives
Forms of worship
 Physical: Involves the activities we do that we can be seen
·         Singing or declaring praise, Psalms 100, Col 3:16
·         Dancing, 1 Sam 6:12, Ex 15: 20
·         Service Acts 16: 16 2cor 9:7, Acts 9:36
Spiritual: Presides whatever is done in the physical otherwise it’s all in vain
Romans 12: 1, Psalms 51
Heart of Worship: Worshipper’s attitude
Isaiah 6: Psalms 51: Mark 14, Rom 1:16

  • ·         A yearning to know the creator
  • ·         Acknowledgement of one’s frailty
  • ·         Since it’s about God, am not afraid/ashamed of what the rest of the world thinks
  • ·         I know my God, and that He has pardoned me, so I am not condemned, Rom 1:8, Heb 10:25

John 4: 21 Jesus and the Samaritan: Jesus Teaching on Worship
A time is coming and now has come!
It is important to discover that the worship in spirit and truth began to the Samaritans (known by the Jews as idol worshippers) immediately Jesus finished his conversation with the woman.
·         She discovered that her life was bare in God’s eyes: Until I realize that there’s nothing I can hide from God, I am not yet ready to worship
·         Beyond boundaries: Jesus first speaks in the same way as the woman but then makes an invitation that surpasses the traditional boundaries. John 4:22
·         She discovered who Jesus was: My worship is not real if I do not know whom I am worshiping. Vv. 29
·         It is not a one man’s special gift: the woman couldn’t hold it to herself. It’s not worship if I am just contented without a desire to share with the rest of the world
Even now, the call is still on. This invitation is for the VIPs and all of us are. A VIP is someone who the host accords special service. Out of the whole universe, God has chosen the human race in this respect. Would you hearken to this call dear friend? Psalms 95: 8. It’s not about how many songs of praise you know, not about your mastery of scripture, not whether you are from a priestly or a heathen home. The call is universal, the qualification is, are you human? Now is the time, to do the whole duty of man, Worship!

Music



I enter the Holy of Holies_Paul Wilbur
-Led by sis. Elizabeth Sisianoi

   Bm               A
I enter the Holy of Holies

   Em                A            Bm
I enter through the blood of the Lamb

   Bm                   A
I enter to worship You only

   Bm       A       Bm
I enter to honor I Am

        D       A       Em     Bm
Lord I worship You,  I worship You,

       D        A      Em      Bm
Lord I worship You, I worship You,

          A       G    A    Bm
for Your name is Holy, Holy Lord 


Burning Incense_ The Obededoms
-Led by sis. Samight Opiyo
D                              G
I burn my incense to you,
D
As a living sacrifice,
Bm                G         Em
As the smoke rises to heaven
A                       D Dsus4
Let your people be healed

D      Dsus4 G
Heal healer heal
D      Dsus4 A A7
Heal healer heal
Bm              G Em
Heal healer heal
A            D
Let your people be healed


Agnus dei_w. Smith Led by SIS. Monicah Mwangi
Verse

D          G    D    D       G

Halle – lu - jah, halle -lujah

             G                     D

For our Lord God Almighty reigns

D         G   D    D       G

Halle – lu - jah, halle -lujah

             G                     D

For our Lord God Almighty reigns

D         G               D

Halle –lujah,     ho-ly,

Chorus

       D                 G/D   D     A

Ho-ly,  Are you Lord God Almighty

Gsus2                Gsus2

Worthy is the Lamb,  Worthy is the Lamb

                 D

You are ho-ly



Stay blessed. Shalom.
Brought to you by Douglas Ogutu


No comments:

Post a Comment